Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Weekend Update

I’m a little tardy with my weekend update and there are lots of things I want to share, so this is going to be a long one!

Last Friday night, Ryan and I stayed in. There were soccer games on TV and I was reading a great book (The Help), so both of us were content to lounge around. I made a spin on a Greek salad for dinner that included baby spinach, shrimp, banana peppers, hummus, feta cheese, avocado and sundried tomatoes. It satisfied me enough to resist the big bowl of chips and guacamole that I set out for Ryan.

Saturday, Ryan and I got up early to go to PowerFlex. The class was challenging, but the teacher was annoying. She started the class late because she was talking, she “whoooo hoooooed” throughout the entirety of the class and didn’t stop talking. I love enthusiastic teachers, but she was a little over the top for my taste. Ryan and I laughed it off, but we also had a great conversation about me training to be a PowerFlex teacher once grad school is over in May and I’ve acclimated to my new job. This idea really excites me and it’s nice to have a husband who is so supportive.  I’ll keep you posted!

After PowerFlex, we quickly got ready to join one of Ryan’s friends for brunch.We went to the Café Dupont. They had some really delicious/indulgent things on the menu like Belgian waffles with dark chocolate and bananas, but I decided to take the healthier route knowing I would be pigging out later that evening. I opted for an arugula salad with beets, goat cheese and orange slides. I had a side of red berries. Ryan had a burger and fries that looked delicious. Brunch was really fun and it was great to meet Ryan’s friend and hear their hilarious stories from college.

After brunch, we went home and I got ready for a Sex and the City 2 party with my girl friends from work. For the party, I offered to bring gingerbread cupcakes with cream cheese icing. For months, I’ve wanted to make these after I saw them on the Barefoot Contessa. I made the cupcakes on Friday night and was a little apprehensive about them since the recipe didn’t call for sugar or eggs. Out of the oven the cupcakes were delicious, but on Saturday they were really dry. I won’t pass along the recipe since I wouldn’t recommend them. On the other hand, the cream cheese frosting was incredible It would be fantastic on carrot cake or banana cupcakes (my next two endeavors).

Cream Cheese Icing (adapted from Ina Garten)
  • 1 block of cream cheese (room temp)
  • 1 stick of butter (room temp)
  • 1 box of powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon of vanilla
       Mix all the ingredients together and you will have amazing icing.

Before I left for the party, I made ice cream for Ryan in our new ice cream maker that we got for our wedding (I wound up eating half!). If you have an ice cream maker, I highly recommend you make this soon! Here’s the recipe.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Ice Cream (adapted from The Perfect Scoop)
  • 2 cups of half and half
  • ½ cup of sugar
  • ¼ cup of cocoa
  • 1 scoop of peanut butter (I eyeballed)
      Whisk the half and half together with the sugar and cocoa and heat until boiling (stir frequently). Once the mixture starts to boil and foam, take it off the burner and add the peanut butter. Let it cool completely and put it in the ice cream maker.

My friend Dannielle hosted the Sex and the City 2 party and had an amazing spread of food prepared. Brenna brought all of the ingredients for cosmos (even fresh lime juice that she squeezed herself!) They were so good that I had quite a few J  While the movie was just okay, I had a blast giggling with my friends, drinking my cosmos. Ryan came and picked me up and was kind enough to drop Jennifer and Brenna off at home. It was such a fun night. I can’t wait to do it again!

Sunday was super lazy and the most exercise I got was going to Costco for our groceries. I got back into the swing of things yesterday and went to PowerFlex with Ryan. I’m going to mix things up tonight and go to cycling at the gym. I’ll let you know how it goes!

2 comments:

  1. That shrimp salad sounds amazing. I'm really impressed with the inventive foods you've been coming up with lately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amy! I'm trying to keep things interesting!

    ReplyDelete