Sunday, January 23, 2011

Back in Action!


Alright folks, I’m back. Blogging, exercise, healthy eating, and normal routines have all been absent from my life for quite some time now. Here’s what’s been going on:
  1. Ryan and I went to Rome the day after Christmas for our honeymoon. We spent six days walking around the city, eating delicious pasta, drinking delicious wine and devouring gelato. The highlights of the trip were the Sistine Chapel, an evening walking tour of the ancient city, and New Year’s Eve. We had a wonderful time, but were ready to come home by the end of the week. We missed our creature comforts (our soft bed, a normal size shower that drains, television, the English language…).
  2. The day after Ryan and I got back from Rome, I started my new job. So far, so good! I really like my new coworkers. They’re all really easy to talk to, smart, and passionate about public health. They’re fun too! The past three weeks have flown by and the transition has been as smooth as it possible.
  3. I've been neglecting my normal low-carb diet and have adopted a high-carb, high-fat, high cupcake, cake, muffins, nachos, cinnamon roll, cookies diet. Have you heard of it? Christmas and the trip to Rome made it really hard to stick to my normal diet. I’m determined to get back on the wagon ever so slowly. However, I do not plan to go back to the diet I was on before Christmas. Pre-Christmas I did not eat bread or grains during the week. I now plan on integrating bread or grains into one meal per day. The other meals I plan to stick with lots of fruits, veggies, low-fat yogurt and cheese, beans, etc.
  4. Does it surprise you to learn that I also haven’t been exercising regularly either? ;) Although we walked all day in Rome and I have intermittently exercised since we have gotten back, I still haven’t gotten back to a normal, regular exercise schedule. My body can tell the difference… it’s simply softer.  I went to a weight lifting class yesterday and could only lift a fraction of what I could in the beginning of December. I’m also super sore today. The soreness is fueling my motivation to get back at it and into shape!
  5. I’ve slowly ventured back into taking hot yoga classes. Brenna and I had an awesome practice last Sunday with a great teacher who made the class challenging, but also light and fun. We went to another class last Friday and wanted to die throughout the entire 90 minutes. Instead of 105 degrees, it felt like 1,005. I sat out during quite a few poses because I felt light-headed and dizzy. Yet, despite the fact that the class was challenging, I still felt wonderful afterward and am already looking forward to going back this week. (By the way, Brenna and I promptly followed-up our Friday night practice with frozen yogurt at Red Mango and cupcakes at Crumbs. We’re that ridiculous.)
  6. School started and it’s already weighing hard on my shoulders. All I can say is that I can’t wait until it’s done. How many days until April 27?
  7.  I had brunch today at Carlyle in Shirlington with some of my girlfriends. It was really fun and really delicious. I had a Thai-style salad with fried shrimp. It was divine and I can’t stop talking about it. I also shared a pecan role . One word: Scrumptious. For being such a good husband, I brought Ryan home a chocolate cupcake with cream cheese frosting from Best Buns. I convinced him to give me a bite and let’s just say it was worth the calories.
  8. On tap for this week:
    • Monday- Intervals on the treadmill for 60 minutes. No work (comp day). Lunch with my old boss. School 6-9pm L
    • Tuesday- Work. Powerflex.
    • Wednesday- Work. School 3-6pm. Hot Yoga with Amy 8pm.
    • Thursday- Work. Zumba with Brenna and Jennifer
    • Friday- Work. Dinner at Ray’s the Steaks with my hubby for his birthday! J
    • Saturday- Treadmill and Powerflex. Lunch at Great Harvest. Clarendon Ballroom for Ryan’s birthday.
    • Sunday- Relax

That’s all for tonight! I promise to deliver more regular updates in the future! 

No comments:

Post a Comment