Friday, February 4, 2011

Diet Edits

The last few days I have been pretty introspective about the way I drink (see my "Saturday Night" post), the way I exercise and the way I eat. I'm happy to say that although my schedule has been crazier than it ever has been, I've been able to fit in workouts that have been pretty satisfying; Tuesday night I lifted weights with Ryan, Wednesday night I practiced hot yoga with Amy and last night I ran a quick two miles on the treadmill (15:50) and did some more weights. Tonight I rested, as I'm gearing up for 4 miles on the treadmill tomorrow, followed by PowerFlex. Admittedly, I am not working out as hard as I was before my wedding, however, I'm okay with that. The point is, I'm still doing it almost daily and that's what matters to me right now.

While I feel like I have the drinking and exercise piece settled, I've been feeling restless regarding my diet. Since my wedding, I've let myself wander slowly, but surely back into the world of carbohydrates. Part of me really wants to allow this to happen and to let the daily indulgence of bread and grains become a norm. The other part of me is pushing back and saying no to these things and begging me to replace the english muffins with fruit, the buttered toast with plain yogurt, the pasta with veggies. I'm so confused about eating that I even ordered a vegetarian starter kit from PETA today. All I want is to get back to good with food, to feel positive about what I'm putting into my body, to get into a routine and to stop wondering if I'm doing the right thing for myself. 

With food and diet still on my mind, I curled up with a book I bought Ryan for his birthday called, "The New Evolution Diet." It was a book I knew would appeal to Ryan because it discussed intermittent fasting, but it also caught my attention. In a sentence, the book is about eating and exercising the way early humans did. What this boils down to is creating a diet that is based on vegetables, meats, seafood, fruits, nuts, good oils and spices. The author Arthur De Vany is admantantly against eating grain-based foods because he feels that our society overly depends on carbs and simple sugars for sustenance, which contribute to the current obesity crisis. After reading several chapters of the book, I felt as though the author was describing and defending the diet that I put myself on before my wedding, which I had always described to others as a modified South Beach. The book also made me feel both settled and invigorated. Settled because I feel sure I need to reinstate the way I was eating before the wedding and invigorated because I'm ready to feel the way I did several months ago when my diet consisted of mainly fruits, veggies, meats and low-fat dairy: lean and just simply healthy inside and out. (By the way, Dr. De Vany does not approve of eating dairy, but I simply don't think I could live without it).

So with that, I'm heading to revise my grocery list. I will be adding more fruits and veggies and striking out the bread that made its way to the very top of the list. After that, it's bedtime- lots to do this weekend.

Goodnight! 

No comments:

Post a Comment