Sunday, March 27, 2011

Nine Mile Run

Yesterday, Amy and I got up bright and early to run nine miles. I was excited (and a little nervous) for two reasons. First, we planned to run past the National Marathon runners, the gorgeous cherry blossoms and the monuments. I knew lot of distractions would make the time pass quickly. Second, I was excited because it was the first time to ever run nine miles!

It was cold  when we started out, but we were in good spirits anyway!

We started out strong and ran across the 14th Street Bridge into the city.

Once we got into the city, we ran along the along the water, picked our way through tourists and passed the Lincoln.

We ran up Constitution Ave and passed all of the amazing marathon runners. They were on their 16th and 17th mile! Once we ran passed the Capitol, we ran back past the Jefferson.
And then we got lost! We didn't know how to get back to the 14th Street Bridge. Desperate to finish our run, we took some desperate measures...

We climbed up a rickety step ladder, hopped over the guard rail and found ourselves on the 14th Street Bridge! We ran in the pedestrian lane as the cars whizzed by and finally made it back down to the GW Parkway. After just a few more minutes, we reached mile nine! 

Due to all the confusion, it hardly even registered that we had just for a long time! Unfortunately, a few hours later, it registered with my body. I actually think I pulled my left groin muscle :( With a bit of rest, I'm hoping to repair any damage I might have done this weekend. Here's to hoping I heal! 

1 comment: