Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Life After Grad School

I feel like I've been waiting all my life to write this post. It may be a little premature, but tonight I decided it can't wait any longer.

Working full-time and going to graduate school is tough (that's a pretty obvious statement, I know). But it's not just tough because I have homework to do once the work day is said and done. It's challenging because of all of the little things that add aggravation and planning...like having to rearrange my work schedule so that I can leave work at 2:00pm on Wednesdays to catch the bus that takes me to the Pentagon where I have to catch the metro into school.

Going to graduate school while working also means that I arrange my time with my husband, my runs, my meals, essentially my everything, around school. But in just a few short weeks, that will no longer be the case! I will soon have a big fat MPH after my name and a lot of extra time on my hands. I swear I will have this grin on permanently plastered on my face:



But don't think for a minute that I haven't already thought long and hard about how to fill my extra time! When I'm done with school I'm going to:
  • Subscribe to magazines.
  • Read books.
  • Cook my way through a cook book.
  • Run a 1/2 marathon.
  • Run a full marathon.
  • Sleep in on the weekends...and not feel guilty about it.
  • Watch Bravo TV all day... and not feel guilty about it.
  • Nap... and not feel guilty about it.
  • Get certified to be a group fitness instructor.
  • Go to happy hour and get tipsy on a week night.
  • Never again have to tell my friends, family or coworkers: I can't because I have school/homework.
After the balancing act I've managed for the past 2.5 years, you better believe that I will complete and savor doing each and every one of the things on the list above. But what I will certainly enjoy most of all, is spending more time with Ryan, my ultimate companion.

No comments:

Post a Comment