Thursday, May 26, 2011

Pre-Race Feelings

If there is one word to describe how I’m feeling about the half marathon I’m running this Sunday, it’s apprehensive. When I signed up for the race in March, I was still on a high from the GW Parkway Classic, where my performance exceeded the expectations I had for myself. In signing up for the half, I imagined myself feeling completely prepared, super excited and looking forward to the challenge in the days leading up to the race. Unfortunately, this just isn’t the case.  I feel much more like a panicked student with a final exam coming up who hasn’t prepared nearly enough to pass.
In truth, I likely am prepared to run the 13.1 miles on Sunday, as I’ve been working hard since the GW Parkway Classic to build up my endurance (see workout schedule below). Unfortunately, I’ve been feeling under the weather all week, with a headache and nausea that won’t go away no matter what I do (and no, I’m not pregnant). This has thrown me for a loop and instead of doing two or three easy runs this week to build up my confidence, I have only been able to struggle through a painful 4 miles, where I felt like I was going to puke the entire way.

Mon
Tues
Wed
Thur
Fri
Sat
Sun
Total Miles
Rest
Rest
Rest
Rest
3.5 miles
Rest
6.8
10
Rest
4.5 miles (Hills)
Rest
4.47 miles
Rest
11 miles
5 miles
25
Rest
Rest
PowerFlex
5 miles walk/run
Rest
12 miles
Rest
17
4 miles
3 miles + 21 minutes on elliptical
Rest
Rest
Rest
13 miles
3.5 miles
23
PowerFlex
Rest
3 miles of intervals (1 min of 5mph 1 min of 9.0-9.5mph)
Zumba
9.1 miles
Rest
Rest
12
6 miles
2.5 miles walking + 28 minutes elliptical
PowerFlex
Rest
Rest
8 miles
5 miles
19
PowerFlex
Rest
Rest
4 miles
1/2 Marathon!


Maybe this “bug” it’s just nerves? I must admit that because I ran so well in the GW Parkway Classic, I feel like a bar has been set for my half marathon. I’m anxious that if my average pace is over 8:30, I’ll feel like a failure, that my friends and family won’t think I’m a good runner, and that the race will be a disappointment to all who have come to witness it (my mom, dad, husband, aunt, brother and sister-in-law and nieces and nephews). I’m trying as hard as I can to re-frame my thinking and go into this race without putting too much pressure on myself. I know deep down that this race, no matter how fast or slow I go, will serve as an important jumping off point for races to come. And even if I have to slog through it, at least I burned some calories, right?J
Until Sunday….

No comments:

Post a Comment