Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Getting Back into Shape

The week following my half marathon, I took a break from exercise and just let my muscles rest. But starting Saturday, I've begun in earnest to get back into shape. Don't get me wrong, I don't think I'm out of shape. But in my final semester of grad school and training for the GW Parkway Classic and Boston's Run to Remember Half Marathon, I lost a lot of muscle tone and flexibility by concentrating on running and neglecting yoga and weight training. While many women try and get their body back after having a baby, I'm trying to get mine back after "having" a MPH.

My goal is to gain lean muscle through weight lifting, improve my flexibility through yoga, and maintain much of my endurance through running three times a week or more. Oh, and I want to bike more, too.

So on Saturday, instead of driving to meet Amy at our meet up spot, I biked. Amy and I ran seven miles and then I biked back home.

On Sunday, I went to a Bikram yoga class with Brenna. It's been months since I've practiced and the class totally kicked my butt. I don't think there is any form of exercise out there that will make you sweat and test your limits like Bikram yoga (you do 26 postures twice in a room that's heated to 105 degrees). The entire 90 minutes felt like torture. However, the second I was done, I was already looking forward to my next class.

Yesterday, I ran a fast three miles outside after work. Although there was a big part of me that wanted to run further, I made myself stop since it was about 90 degrees out and I didn't want push myself to the point of dehydration or heat stroke.


Today, I biked to the gym, ran a mile on the treadmill, took a PowerFlex class and biked home. My muscles are still shaking. I have a feeling I'm going to be sore tomorrow! 


Depending on if I can move tomorrow, the plan is to run an easy three or four miles in the morning. Thursday, I plan to put myself through torture and go to Boot Camp, which is probably the hardest class I've ever taken. Friday will be my day of rest. On Saturday, I get to run with Amy. And we'll just have to see about Sunday...the pool, not the gym, may be calling me name :)

2 comments: